In the late 18th century, Dr. Plunkett, Bishop of Meath, founded four schools in the parish. In 1824, a school in Culmullen in a thatched house of mud, was situated at the start of the present day cul de sac leading to Culmullen House. This school, which accommodated 45 Roman Catholic children, interestingly had a programme of instruction which was “reading, writing, arithmetic, the Irish language and Roman Catholicism”. It is the only printed record of Irish as a school subject in south Meath.
An application for a new school was made in 1833; a grant of £50 was forthcoming and the school was finally started in September 1835. The building is still in use today and is known as Culmullen Hall. The present day school was built in 1947 as a two teacher school and was extended in the 1970s to its present size.