St. Martin of Tours Church, Culmullen
Following Catholic Emancipation in 1832, a new church was built at the present day site in Culmullen. It was a T shaped building described as capable of accommodating 500 persons and costing £300. It had a short life and was replaced by the present day church started in 1875. The foundation stone was laid by Dr. Nulty, but work was delayed by the death of Fr. Duff, the Parish Priest. The building was completed and the Church dedicated to St. Martin on 1st September, 1878. The fine stained glass on the gable end depicting St. Martin De Tours cutting his cloak was sponsored by Matthew Marmion.
The church was renovated in 1921 and again in 1989. The medieval baptismal font from Old Culmullen was also moved to the church.
By Neill O’Riordan
Excerpts taken from the Dunshaughlin and Culmullen Parish 2007 Jubilee Commemorative booklet By Michael Kenny RIP