St. Patrick and St. Seachnalls
In 1980, the parish priest, Fr. Brendan Caffrey, decided a new church in Dunshaughlin was needed. The foundation stone was laid by Bishop McCormack on January 24th 1982, and in November 1982, the Church of St. Patrick and St. Seachnalls was consecrated by Bishop McCormack.
In building the new church, great consideration was given to incorporating parts of the old church, e.g. the altar front and marble from the pulpit were used in constructing the lectern, altar and celebrant’s chair. The beautiful stained glass windows were dismantled and adapted to suit the new design. The tabernacle lamp was also transferred and what had been brass gates at the altar rails of the old church can now be seen in their redesigned form as kneelers, used at weddings.
The church bell was refurbished and installed in it’s new home in the present tower. The inscription on the bell reads; Drogheda Iron Works 1876. The cross on the apex of the old church was also transferred around this time. The Stations of the Cross however, were new – designed and executed in copper by Jim Marsden.
By Michael Kenny RIP
Excerpt from the Dunshaughlin and Culmullen Parish 2007 Jubilee Commemorative booklet